Thursday, March 12, 2009

Greenhouse Kit


I picked up this greenhouse kit by Burpee today at the Home Depot along with some seeds in order to get a head start on gardening in a couple of months, these all range from 5 to 10 weeks time for transplanting. I can't wait as this is our first time EVER having a yard to take care of. We've wanted an herb garden for so long. I even bought our first rake today. So, I'm going to try to keep a photo log of the greenhouse so that you and I can see the transformation happen. 

In this greenhouse I've planted things that will take approximately the same amount of time to sprout. The backs of the seed packets will tell you whether or not to put the seeds directly in the ground, or if you should start indoors. I chose seeds that should all be started indoors, and that (cross my fingers) should be ready right around the time that our risk for frost is over, in May. 

I think I spent about $6.50 in seeds and $7.99 for the greenhouse which comes with soil pellets. So fun to watch the soil grow when you pour water on them. If you have kids, you have to do this with them. I was greatly amused, myself. 

So here's what I planted today: Lavender, Thyme, Rosemary, Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' (black-eyed susans), Shasta Daisies, and Cherry Tomatoes. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

laurialigns said...

Your starter garden sounds wonderful. And lavender is the most beautiful thing to grow!