Friday, March 20, 2009

is there a solution?


Ok, so I'm addicted to Tazo's liquid concentrate chai latte mix. It tastes great, and you just mix it with equal parts milk, simple. I had been buying them at Starbucks, but for a few weeks now I have been buying the carton of concentrate to make them at home. Now that it's so easy to have one, I'm having at least 3 iced chai lattes a day. At least I'm getting my calcium... but I'm going through these cartons like crazy. The price isn't awful if you consider that I can make about 6 for the price of one of the same size at Starbucks, but at $3.99 each (Target, Whole Foods) it seems to me like there must be a cheaper way to enjoy a chai latte without too much work. The problem I see is coming up with something just as tasty after rounding up all of the spices. I don't want to waste $20+ on a bunch of spices and then not get the results that I want. I want a concentrate I can keep in the fridge and use just like the Tazo brand mix. 

So if anyone has any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, have made some before, etc. please let me know! I would love to see your suggestions. 

Here's what I'm considering:

Purpose Design's Small Chai Tea Kit, $16 on Etsy - make a concentrate?
Tazo Chai Tea bags, 20 bags per box - make it very concentrated and mix with milk?
Keep buying the Tazo chai mix - maybe it's the best I can do?

6 comments:

Ryan Carmelo Briones said...

maybe this is covered by "concentrate", but IIRC, on of the reasons you stopped trying to do "hot brew chai tea" + milk is that it was coming out to watery. i suppose any suggestion would have to overcome that as well.

Stephanie Briones said...

Exactly. I have tried it before with teabags, but I'm thinking maybe more tea + less water may work. Thank you for bringing that up, that is important to point out. Watery chai = not good.

Bridget said...

I like to make chai at home with tea bags. I brew the tea longer than it suggests (like 6 min instead of 3). I have noticed that if I steam or froth the milk it helps with the watery taste. And, if you add just a drop or 2 of almond extract (or almond syrup would work too, I guess) it seems to taste more like what you would get at Starbucks. Good luck!

Danielle said...

I'm addicted to chai tea, too! I say keep buying the concentrate, only because I've tried to make my own with the chai tea bags, etc, and it never tastes the same. Nothing tastes as good as the tazo chai..

That's my advice. :)

I'd love to hear if you find a different way, though!

mindy said...

http://store.indianfoodsco.com/InfoPage.cfm?PageId=IndFood00300

i've tried a few of these recipes and like them...

a good chai is hard to find...so many different kinds.

good luck. :)

Stephanie Briones said...

Thank you all so much for your ideas and recommendations! I received several replies via this blog post, twitter, and facebook. I really appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes!